One of my great friends once told me a person cannot deliver a level of service they have never experienced. Makes sense, right? If a front desk associate has never seen 5-star service, how is he/she going to provide that kind of guest experience, even at a 3-star hotel?
The easiest solution would be to book rooms at the Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria for your entire team. There is nothing like a business model that has 4 employees to every guest. It is no wonder why those hotel brands are known for unparalleled guest service. If you have ever stayed at one of these hotels, you know that from the minute the valet takes your car keys you are treated like a rock-star at every touch point. It is my favorite kind of indulgence!
Since most hotels do not have a line item in the budget for shopping 5-star competitors, here are some other ideas:
- The ultimate online hotel sales & operations training, Accelerate eLearning teaches you how to create memorable guest experiences and provides downloadable resources like training flashcards, and other tools to enhance your service culture.
- Find some videos that demonstrate the skill set you are trying to convey. A good place to start is by searching on, “Customer Service Training Videos.” Then see if your team members can find additional videos that exemplify the kind of service you would like to provide.
- Allow team members to share examples of when they have experienced extraordinary service, in any industry.
- Role play realistic scenarios to demonstrate the skills needed.
Three other suggestions that will help create a service culture at your hotel include:
- Daily Stand-Up Meetings – This 5-10 minute daily team meeting will get everyone in the hotel on the same page each day. Review in-house and arriving VIPs, cover a quick training tip and be playful!
- Express Appreciation – Thank at least one person from each department every day. Nothing will motivate employees more than feeling appreciated. This should be incredibly easy since I am guessing that you do not want to clean rooms or work the audit.
- Have Fun! – Having fun on command is like sleeping on command – it is almost impossible to do. Creating an atmosphere of exuberance starts with management. Challenge each department head to make someone laugh each day. A fun place to work is the single best way to increase employee retention and guest loyalty.
You do not have to be a 5-star hotel to offer 5-star service. All you need are dedicated employees with a good attitude and a terrific sense of humor. If you do not have them now, start looking. They are out there – probably working for your competitors.
Toni Jacaruso, CEO of Jacaruso Enterprises Inc.
February 24, 2021