Core values provide a foundation for decision-making, guide behavior, and shape organizational culture. They help us stay true to our beliefs, purpose, and mission, and foster trust and accountability. At JE we are passionate about our 5 core values that we champion through the acronym SCORE, an ode to our competitive spirit.
1. Self-Care – Self-care is like being a salesperson for yourself. Just like how a hotel salesperson promotes the best features and benefits of their hotel to attract customers, you must promote the best features and benefits of taking care of yourself to stay healthy and happy. It’s like being your own best salesperson! And just like how a hotel salesperson might offer a discount or upgrade to close a sale, you might need to give yourself a little extra incentive, like taking a walk, hugging your furry family members, or eating lunch to prioritize your self-care. After all, who doesn’t love a good sales pitch, especially when it’s for your own well-being?
2. Consistency – Consistency is like brushing your teeth. You can’t just brush your teeth for two hours once a month and expect to have a sparkling smile. It’s the daily, consistent brushing that makes the difference. Similarly, you can’t just work super-hard for a day and expect to be successful. It’s the consistent effort over time that leads to real progress.
3. Open Communication – Open communication is like using the front door instead of climbing through a window to get into someone’s house. Sure, you might eventually make it inside, but you’re more likely to scare the living daylight out of the person inside and maybe even set off an alarm. It’s much better to just knock on the door and have a civilized conversation like a normal person. At JE we believe in talking to people, not about them. We are also clear in our communication.
4. Results – Results matter because they provide tangible evidence of progress and success. They give us a sense of accomplishment and motivate us to continue working towards our goals. Results can also help us make informed decisions and adjust our strategies as needed. Without results, it can be difficult to know if we’re on the right track or if we need to make changes to achieve our desired outcomes. Ultimately, results help us measure our efforts and determine if we’re making the impact we want in our lives and in the world around us.
5. Empathy – Empathy is like being a lighthouse on a stormy night. Just like how a lighthouse provides a beacon of light and guidance for ships lost at sea, compassion provides a guiding light of kindness and empathy for those going through difficult times. A lighthouse stands firm and strong against the raging storm and compassion helps us stay strong and supportive for those who need it most, even when we’re facing our own challenges. It’s a beautiful reminder that even in the toughest of times, a little bit of compassion can make all the difference.
Our core values are more than just words on paper, they play an integral role in creating a positive and impactful work environment. They’re like the secret sauce that gives our culture that extra zest. By living and breathing these values, we create an atmosphere of trust, accountability, and a competitive spirit that propels us towards success.
Toni Jacaruso, CEO of Jacaruso Enterprises Inc.
April 7, 2023