I have been leading sales teams for 24 years and throughout that time I have learned some valuable lessons. My leadership style is directly correlated to my team’s ability to drive results. I wish I had learned some of this long ago. It would have made my life easier!
1. Have fun: If you are having fun your team relaxes and their true personalities shine through. Great salespeople are extroverted and they love to laugh. I can always tell if we are on the right track or not based on the spontaneity and laughter of our team.
2. Hire unequivocally talented sales professionals: We receive 75 applicants for every one person we hire. If you’re not hiring the right people, it won’t matter where you lead them, the results will be disappointing.
3. Set clear goals and expectations: As a sales leader, it’s important to have well-defined goals and expectations for your team. Communicate these goals and expectations clearly and provide the necessary resources and support to help your team achieve them.
4. Lead by example: One of the most effective ways to motivate your team is to lead by example. Demonstrate the behaviors and skills you want your team to adopt and be willing to roll up your sleeves and help when needed.
5. Build strong relationships: At JE one of our core values is, “meaningful relationships.” Building strong relationships with your team members and with clients is key to success in hotel sales. Take the time to get to know your team members and their strengths and weaknesses, and work to build relationships with clients that go beyond just a transactional basis.
6. Focus on continuous learning and development: The hospitality industry is constantly evolving, and it’s important to stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices. Encourage your team to participate in training and development programs and lead by example by continually learning and improving your own skills. A great place to start is joining our JE Community – http://jacaruso.com/jec-login-new-user.
7. Embrace technology: Technology can be a powerful tool for hotel sales, from CRM systems to social media platforms. Be open to exploring new technologies that can help your team work more efficiently and effectively.
8. Cultivate a positive work environment, a.k.a., see #1: A positive work environment will help to boost morale and productivity among your team. Go out for ice cream, take an afternoon off to be of service to your local community, or ask your team what they would like to do to connect and bond as a group – they will tell you. Create an environment that is supportive, collaborative, and fun, and celebrate successes along the way.
By following these suggestions, you can become a better hotel sales leader and help your team achieve their goals and exceed expectations.
Contact us to learn how we can lead your hotel sales efforts remotely. jacaruso.com/contactus/
Toni Jacaruso, CEO of Jacaruso Enterprises
April 26, 2023